Thursday, April 5, 2007

Point of Continuum

This is my first blog

It begins two days after attending the Champions of Youth Speaker Series at Hamilton Place Theatre in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Bill Clinton headlined the fund raiser and spoke for about an hour on a range of topics which culminated in an appeal for each of us to consider using what resources we have to spare, whether it is time or money, for some philanthropic end. I expected as much. He has said in the past that his enjoyment of campaigning surpassed his satisfaction with administering.

I am certainly not nearly as composed
as he has proven to be but I was surprised with my own dispassionate scrutiny of the event. I don't mean apathy. What I mean is that in the past I have been starstruck and envious around famous people. I would have felt vulnerable and insignificant, imagining slights where no slights existed. It would have seemed as though one curious aspect of proximity to the Stars was that from afar I was able to nurture a sense of wonder and admiration, however, if for some reason I strayed too close my heroes would magically transform into my dreaded enemies. This time there was no tilting at windmills.
This time I sat in his shadow listening quietly, selfishly enjoying this new sense of assuredness.

No comments: